Talgarth Asylum, Wales
#291 - 365
It was built at a cost of £126,000, and opened on 18 March 1903, the asylum was designed to be self-sufficient, and had its own private water, electricity, heating and sewerage systems as well as a considerable agricultural estate on which able-bodied patients worked to produce food for the hospital.
As well as residential wards, the hospital had a large recreation and dining hall, kitchens, and workshops "in which the patients were encouraged to spend their time profitably", a tailor, bakery, shoe-maker and printing shops as well as 8 acres of market gardens.
Following closure, the buildings and surrounding estate were sold to the former Chief Medical Officer for just £227,000.
In 2009 the site was again offered for sale. By this time, several properties that once belonged to the hospital, such as the gatehouse, had been sold off and the buildings were becoming derelict. There are signs of demolition throughout the site and many of the original slates (believed to be worth in excess of £1 million) were stripped from the roofs.
From 365 - Decay A Day 2017 Pt 4 - 4