Good cooks use borwicks
#316 - 365
Borwick’s baking powder and egg powder became some of the first widely known consumer products in Britain. George Borwick employed 75 men and boys and 8 girls in 1861. Growing sales saw premises relocated to Chiswell Street, Finsbury in 1864.
Robert Hudson Borwick and Joseph Cooksey Borwick, sons of George Borwick, entered the business in 1865 after a brief period working as manufacturing confectioners. By 1870 they were partners, and the firm traded as George Borwick & Sons.
In 1870 the firm was awarded a Royal Warrant for baking powder from the Queen of the Netherlands. Borwick’s baking powder won its fifth gold medal at an International Exhibition in 1882.
George Borwick had retired to Devon by 1881, and he died in 1889. The value of his personal estate was estimated at £259,740. The firm was left to Robert and Joseph, whilst his eldest son Alfred (born 1837) inherited his estate at Walthamstow. 600,000 packets of Borwick’s baking powder were sold every week by 1896.
H J Green had been acquired by Pillsbury by 1984. Pillsbury was taken over by Grand Metropolitan in 1989. Green’s of Brighton was sold to Dalgety in 1990. Dalgety sold its food ingredients business, including Green’s, to Kerry Group of Ireland in 1998. As of 2016, Borwick’s baking powder is manufactured by Kerry Foods at its facility in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.
316nov12good cooks use borwicks2015D7000Irishmanlostabandoneddecaymantlepiecetinsteapotbottlebowlwalescloud househome