#321 - 365
Fort Dunree is a coastal defence fortification located on the west side of the Inishowen peninsula, Ireland. Originally built as a Royal Navy position during the Napoleonic Wars.
It was remodelled in 1895 to have 2 x 4.7 inch (120 mm) QF guns below, and later 12 pounder (5 kg) QF and 2 x 6 inch (152 mm) guns in an upper land battery. The top of a hill overlooking the site was walled in to form a redoubt.
The guns at the Fort were manned by the Irish Army until decommissioned following World War II.
The fort is now a military museum with detailed exhibitions, many restored guns such as BL 6 inch Mk VII naval gun and this the old military camp. There are also displays about the area birds, marine life and coastal vegetation.
Other facilities include a gift shop, auditorium, café and trail walks.
It is a very interesting place and worth a visit, even the walks are good along with the views.