#348 - 365
1785, Matthew Fortescue built this square Georgian house of 2 storeys over a basement 5 bays long and 5 bays deep, which was extended in 1820 by the addition of 2 wings of one storey over basement. One of these wings was further demolished later in the 19th century. Some time in the earlier part of the 19th Century the windows were given Tudor-Revival hood mouldings but later the house was refaced with cement and the hood mouldings replaced by classical pediments and entablatures.
The house remained in the Fortescue family until 1966, After the death of Mrs Pyke-Fortescue, Stephenstown was inherited by her nephew, Major Digby Hamilton who then sold it in 1974. And since then it was left to ruin.
At first when we walked up the broken gravel path we didn't see it as the house looked really well camouflaged under the overgrown ivy. But nothing remains inside, just collapsed floors and some rusty pipework.